What’s the best e-commerce platform for you? Is it Shopify or Magento? Selecting the best e-commerce platform between Shopify vs Magento is challenging but of critical importance. This post compares Magento vs Shopify and helps you decide which one can help you scale your e-commerce business in 2021 and even beyond.
Whether you’re a startup that wants to grow faster or a large enterprise looking for diversification, you want and need the right e-commerce platform to give your online store a new height. As you research options for e-commerce development, some big names will pop up. However, let’s admit that none are as popular as Magento and Shopify. Shopify has a pretty firm grip in the hosted, all-in-one platform market, while Magento is the biggest player when it comes to developing larger and more complex e-commerce sites.
Shopify vs Magento is a common battle. Both are significant players; however, their models, pricing, and programming language differ. Being one of the most popular e-commerce platforms globally, Shopify holds almost 18% market share, while Magento’s market share is 0.8% of all known websites. Yet, both are deemed the most dominating e-commerce platforms in today’s time.
With no further delay, we will compare these two major players in the game, get into the details of Magento vs Shopify, and help you make the important decision of which one is the right option for your e-commerce business and why. Ready? Let’s get started!
Shopify is powering over 1 million businesses worldwide. It is an all-in-one commerce platform that offers numerous features to start, build, run, manage, and grow your online store. Shopify website development embraces businesses of all sizes to set up an online store and sell their products hassle-free. Whether you sell online, on social media, or in the store, Shopify has your back.
Pros of Shopify Development
- Easy to Set up and Use – One of the common praises of Shopify is how simple it is to set up and use. Coming with the drag-and-drop option, it’s a great platform for someone who is not tech-savvy.
- Excellent Performance – E-commerce sites need to be fast and highly responsive. Shopify offers excellent site performance that keeps your customers intact and helps you increase sales and ROI.
- Easily Customizable – E-commerce sites need customization every now and then. Shopify’s customizable website builder is a huge help here. You can edit, add, and move around content as per your requirement.
- Scalable – Like any e-commerce business, if you are looking to grow and expand, Shopify is your way to go. It brings you tools and apps that help in your brand’s expansion.
- Fully Hosted – Shopify is a fully hosted platform, which means you don’t have to pay extra money for server maintenance or server-hosting fee.
- Several Theme Options – Having an aesthetically pleasing online store is incredibly crucial. Shopify ensures to give a sleeker, cleaner, and neater look to your e-commerce store with oodles of theme availability.
- Multiple Channels Selling – Shopify helps you increase your sales by using other potential platforms and supported channels like Facebook, Amazon, Pinterest, and apps. You can also sell in person at brick-and-mortar shops.
- SEO-Packed – Shopify has a ton of SEO-additions and marketing tools to its platform. The more people reach your store, the better success you’ll have in terms of online presence and revenue.
Cons of Shopify Development
- Customization Limitations – No doubt that the platform is highly customizable, but it also has some limitations. For example, themes need to be customized using their own PHP language.
- Higher Price – In case you are looking for more advanced features of Shopify like gift cards, fraud analysis, reports, and real-time shipping, you need to pay a higher price.
- Need Upgradation – You might need to upgrade your Shopify plan to increase the functionality for some of the pre-existing features of Shopify. Not every feature will be working optimally with the starter Shopify plan.
Magento is a leading and immersive e-commerce platform, widely used by various sectors, including automotive, fashion, department stores, home & DIY, sports, and more. Every year, Magento handles over $100 billion in gross merchandise volume. That said, Magento development experts from all over the world are empowering thousands of retailers and brands to innovate and grow rapidly.
Pros of Magento Development
- Flexibility – It is one of the biggest plus points of Magento. You can modify the source code, customize templates, and incorporate third-party integration as per your requirements.
- Feature-Rich – Magento has a wide range of features that allow you to manage multiple stores and support multiple locations, languages, pricing, and currencies. It will enable you to enjoy many features that other platforms lack.
- Large Community – There is a large community of Magento users because it is one of the most used e-commerce platforms globally. This helps to ensure quick support.
- Mobile-Friendly – Today’s generation has gravitated towards mobile shopping. The good news is, Magento is mobile-friendly and allows you to create a mobile site without any difficulty and give the best shopping experience.
- Scalable – Magento can handle the growth of your business with ease. This platform can support up to five hundred thousands of products and thousands of transactions in an hour, helping you thrive.
Cons of Magento Development
- Expensive – Magento’s basic version is free of cost; however, the premium enterprise version of Magento, targeted for large businesses, costs you more than fifty thousand dollars approximately for a year.
- Few Developers – Certainly, Magento has a large community of users and developers, but it is difficult to find authentic Magento developers. The main reason is the complex understanding. One needs a lot of time to master it perfectly.
- Time-Consuming – Magento has a slow loading time; hence, customizations are quite difficult to make and take a lot of time compared to other e-commerce platforms.
- Hosting – You need to use a dedicated server to host Magento; other normal hosting types shouldn’t be used to host a Magento-based site.
Shopify vs Magento: Which One Is the Best for Your Online Store and Will Lead in 2021?
You can’t pick one and apply “one-size-fits-all” logic when it comes to choosing e-commerce platforms. Likewise, you can’t choose one between Magento vs Shopify keeping your e-commerce business needs aside. You need to pick out either of these two platforms and move forward according to your business type, size, needs, and preferences. Both of them can deliver a perfect experience to you at the end of the day, depending on your requirements.