Do you own a Magento e-commerce store and want to switch to Shopify Plus and earn better revenue? This blog is for you, where we will explore the best practices and explain how you can effortlessly migrate data from Magento to Shopify Plus.
E-Commerce has completely changed the business scenario and is evolving rapidly. With over 120 e-commerce platforms to choose from, if Shopify Plus is your preferred choice for your online store’s data migration, you should be aware of the Shopify’s benefits, efficiency, simplicity, rich features, and importance in today’s e-commerce market.
Store owners often ask ‘Is Shopify the choice for e-commerce business?’ Well, the stats say, there is a 126% average year-over-year growth for Shopify Plus merchants. Besides, Shopify has a market share of 31% in the US for websites using e-commerce technologies.
According to Shopify, over 7000 Shopify Plus brands are leading the charge, and one million Shopify businesses have made over $155 billion in sales so far. Considering such stats, Shopify is driving more merchants to migrate existing e-commerce store to Shopify Plus.
Why Should You Migrate from Magento to Shopify Plus?
With so many exciting new features being added to Shopify Plus every year, it’s grabbing many online store owners’ attention when it comes to choosing the e-commerce migration. The most popular platform to move to Shopify Plus is often Magento. There are various reasons online store owners consider moving to Shopify Plus. Let’s have a look:
- Scalability – Shopify is built to scale, offering unlimited bandwidth with the capacity of up to more than 10000 orders per minute. Shopify also enables you to upgrade or downgrade according to how much traffic you’re receiving.
- Security – Shopify offers top-notch security to the online store owners, using SSL certificates across all Shopify sites. Shopify security level is level 1 PCI DSS compliant, which means you don’t need to worry about security.
- Hosting – Shopify offers fully-managed cloud-based hosting, compared to Magento, where you need to find a hosting solution before getting started. Shopify’s fully-managed hosting not only saves time but also saves a considerable amount of money.
Magento to Shopify Plus Data Migration: Best Practices to Follow
- Data Formats – The data you plan to import needs to be in one of these formats: JSON, CSV, XLSX, and XML. If you anticipate that scripting will be necessary, then JSON is probably the best option for exporting data. Also, there are various online tools available for converting file formats.
- Faster CSV Imports – The average rate limit of Shopify’s API is roughly two records per second. Thus, the large datasets can take even days or weeks depending upon the data to import into Shopify via the API.
- Shopify Metafields and Tags – Use Shopify meta fields and tags to deal with custom data fields. For instance, a merchant might have a custom field for BOGO sales, thus in Shopify, a tag can be created, and with some code, you can look for the tag and display a sale message on product pages to the customer.
- Leverage Migration Apps – Leveraging migration apps can be a great option when it comes to Magento to Shopify migration. ‘Excelify’ is one example to use Magento to Shopify migration process; however, you should keep in mind that Excelify is good for importing WordPress blogs but not good for WooCommerce orders.
- Migrate a Test Batch and Then Analyze – Compare Shopify data to source data and start figuring out what needs to be fixed. You need to fix things such as ‘cost per item’ shown under the ‘compare at the price’ fields.
Magento to Shopify Migration: 4 Quick and Easy Steps to Perform
Step 1: Analysis of Data Migration from Magento to Shopify Plus
The first step towards migration from Magento to Shopify Plus is deciding what exactly you want to have and what quantity. It is advisable to involve a technical migration partner who can analyze data, customizations, integrations, and chalk out an ideal migration plan that will save a lot of time and budget.
You can transfer products’ names, images, descriptions, product’s visual components, data on orders, page content (including About Us, Contacts, Blogs, etc.), images embedded in the content, customer details, SEO settings, integration with various services, and more.
Step 2: Moving from Magento to Shopify
Finding the best migration way is crucial in the process. It could be anything like using only ready-made migration applications, using a combination of migration apps and native apps for specific data. Sometimes, you can choose virtual assistants, and in the most complex situations, a fully custom is implemented.
Besides, using KPIs such as price, speed, quality, and completeness of data can help you the best way. Once you find the balance among these criteria, you can execute a foolproof migration process.
Step 3: Data Transferring
Once you choose the method to migrate your existing Magento store to Shopify Plus, you can perform this step effortlessly. Remember, this step depends entirely upon the approach you choose to migrate. The duration of the data transfer will depend on how vast the data is and can last from several minutes to several hours and sometimes can take up to days.
Step 4: Web Page Redirection and Positions in Search
You need to save the site’s current position in the search system (SEO) and set up redirection of users to a new address when migrating to the Shopify Plus platform. With the correct setting of the redirect, you will save the authority of your domain name and your current ranking position in the search engines (Google).
Migrating your existing Magento store to Shopify Plus can be an intimidating task depending upon an individual’s goals and objectives. Hopefully, this blog has provided you with some insight into Magento to Shopify Plus migration and helped you understand the entire process.
Considering the data migration best practices and the proven steps mentioned above, you can easily help your e-commerce store flourish and maximize the ROI. So, are you ready to switch to Shopify Plus and grow your online store?